Wednesday, May 19

Wed 1:45 (1400-1600)

So I delayed my day off by a day. Had a great lesson on Monday night, discovering what I was missing in my "petting the dog" (freedom at the shoulder) and exploring possible bowings for the Haydn C Adagio. I am happier and happier with my new right arm skills - my cello sounds really great. Next step: keep doing it as the music gets more complicated.

I probably shouldn't count it as "practice," but I spent almost 2 hours this afternoon working out our parts with another of my cello quartet members. By the luck of the draw we have alternating 1st and 2nd cello parts on two of the pieces. I shared my philosophy of how to mark shifts into a part to minimize the amount of rethinking you need to do each time you play it, and helped her decide how to finger her part. Once decisions were made we were able to focus on how just the two parts sound together without the extra racket from the lower parts. A very rewarding practice.

However, since I have a church orchestra rehearsal later tonight, I'm going to take a break instead of practicing Haydn or Suzuki today. The deck is calling, and I think I have time for a small glass of wine with dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.