Monday, April 26

Mon 0:61 (1510-1611)

Started with Suzuki Bk 1, pieces 2-8. Still not playing from memory, just running through them trying to regain that sense that I am pulling the sound out of the cello with minimal weight, and certainly no pressing. I'm playing Emma as my practice cello, and should probably repeat this with Petra before my lesson to make sure it's transferable. ~15 min

After that nice tonalization warmup, I worked on orchestra music. Since I'm the 2nd chair for this concert I have some exposed parts to cover in the Sibelius violin concerto 3d mvmt. Worked out the rhythms and a few spots of tricky fingering, and wondered if I need to be able to play the solo chromatic runs, just in case. Not today, anyway. Did a run through with Sarah Chang. Needs more work on the alternating bowing, which we are doing because it is easier than the up down down marked. But even the easier bowing takes a lot of balance to maintain with the violin rhythms and changing notes. ~30 min

Finally, worked on tricky bits in the Svendsen symphony 1st mvmt. I think I'm going to ask T4 to go over fingering of descending broken thirds. This would be much easier if I knew the pattern, and I'm sure there must be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.