Tuesday, September 7

Mon Tue 40 min

10 min - Bach Prelude #4 using Howard ed'n. Desultory practice of 1st 10 or so measures, and the last run of sixteenth notes. Plan to work measure by measure at lesson, still goofing off at this stage.

10 min - Suzuki Bk 1 last two minuets, Suzuki Bk 2 opening tonalizations, Long, Long Ago in C with variation, May Time, 2nd position etude and tonalization, two Bach minuets. I figured that while I am just reading I will keep playing through the books.

10 min - Mooney TP Bk 1, Pattern 2 warm-ups, French Folk Song, May Sing, Oh Susanna, Old Folks at Home, Blue Bells of Scotland (all in C), accompaniment to Old Folks at home, which included arpeggios and some fun double stops. My thumb position still sounds like crap.

10 min - Beethoven 5, 1st half of the 1st theme in sixteenth 32nd notes. After deciding I was not going to make fast progress, I set the metronome to 1/1632 = 80 and played 4 note groups forward and backward, then measures. Still looking at the fingering in 3d measure - up to Db on II, or not? The 4-4 shift Db to Ab is a bear. Timer saved me from intensive intonation practice.

OK, I admit it. I took all 3 days of the holiday weekend off. For some reason DH hanging around the house always puts my practice schedule off kilter. I sure hope he doesn't decide to retire anytime soon.

Today I checked the orchestra web site to see if by some odd chance the schedule for the next concert had been posted. Surprise! It was! Our November program will consist of Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 and Piston Symphony No 4. I don't know the latter at all, but think that must be a very odd program. I'm not ready to drop Beethoven from my excerpt practice, but you will also see Tchaik 6 excerpts beginning tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.