Thursday, September 9

Thu 40 min

10 min - Bach Prelude #4m 76-79 using Howard ed, checking against Rosanoff. Wasn't able to link with yesterday's work, as I'm not sure about the notes in m80. Is that supposed to be a Bbb, or not? Also, what does chantez mean?

10 min - Mooney TP Bk 1, Pattern III warmups, then tunes in Bb: French Folk Song, May Song, Oh Susanna, Cockles and Mussels, Larry O'Gaff, Battle Hymn of the Republic. This W-W-W hand position with 1/2 step between T and 1 is most difficult. I painted my callous with New Skin again today. Placebo? It does seem to be a little less painful. Will be interesting to see what kind of callous forms under it.

10 min - Suzuki 2, the Two Grenadiers, Gossec Gavotte, Handel Bourree, and... only 11 pieces in this book. After I finished the Bourree I worked backward and played the other two again. Cute pieces. I'm really noticing how much more relaxed my bow hand is, and how actual arm weight is contributing to the legato notes. Guess last year wasn't a waste of time, after all. Book 3 tomorrow.

10 min - Beethoven 5, Andante con moto, the last few measures of sixteenth notes in the excerpt book and the arpeggios at Piu moto. I used the metronome at 1/8 = 80 and a drone on Ab, when it became apparent that I had no idea about the tonality of the scale. I think I was disoriented because it started on A natural. Went back and did a quick blow by of the entire excerpt, pleased that I remembered most of the fingerings. Next, I can start working it up to tempo.

Tone is improving. Probably didn't hurt that I put some rosin on my bow yesterday. Funny, I used to be so compulsive about that, but now I just assume that if my cello sounds bad it must be me, and will go for weeks without adding rosin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.