Sunday, March 7

Sun 1:25 (1145-1310)
I practiced before the concert and am writing this after, so let's see what I remember.

First, this was a long session, and I should have taken a break, but wanted to leave as much time after practice and before the concert as possible, and I started a little later than I wanted to. Also related to that, I needed to play more quietly than usual so as not to waken my sleeping house mates. So this was a very left-hand oriented session. That is also why I was able to go the whole 1:25 without a break.

Started off by warming up with de Swert #25, left hand only. T4- has been working with me to develop a very dynamic left hand finger action, so dynamic that all of the notes are articulated and sound clearly without needing a bow. This involves a combination of stiking notes when moving up a string, and plucking them when moving downward. That's really coming along, and de Swert is a great exercise, having lots of scalar patterns including 3/4 pre-trill patterns. My focus was on keeping my little finger curved and an appropriate distance between 2 and 3. Great warm up.

Next, worked on fast scales in Schumann mvmt 1, again without the bow, and using the metronome. Did the symphony play-through at a much reduced volume, and though using the bow my focus was on keeping a relaxed bow hand and a relaxed me while using very little bow and playing quietly. Another great exercise. Paused after each movement to do a little clean up work.

Finished with some work on the scales in the Beethoven, left hand only, then a run through with the recording. I hadn't done that at all, as it's pretty easy to read at the tempo at which we play it. I am beginning to recognize the fuzzy thinking feeling I have when I can't actually play the bit and have resorted to faking it. That's great progress, as I am such a good faker. As @EmilyCello says, that is my cue to where I need to focus my practice.

I put the CD's back in their cases for the final time, and went off and played the concert. There were just a couple of notes I wish I could take back. I was most pleased that I actually played all the notes in time for the first scale run in the 1st mvmt, and came very close to playing the 2nd run. WoOt! I think that this approach to working with the recording to learn a piece for performance in 1.5 weeks was highly successful, aided by my new Stark Raving practice skills. This week has been amazing: 2 private lessons with Emily, a four hour small group practice seminar, 2 orchestra rehearsals, a concert, and 2 +/- hours of daily practice. This was every bit as good as cello camp! I am also pleased to report that with switching bows my right elbow is pain-free today.

What else did I learn? That it's important to fight the desire to slack off just before the concert, that I won't hurt myself with long practice sessions if I focus on relaxed technique and take appropriate action if things do start to hurt, and that it is far better to practice earlier in the day than later.

But now I have a lesson tomorrow, and have done very little work on Haydn this week. I wonder what I should practice tomorrow afternoon after I get home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.