Wednesday, March 3

65 min
An @EmilyCello deep practice session. I almost feel like I was in an altered state of consciousness, and I can't remember everything I did after the fact. I wonder if it would be useful to take notes along the way, or if that would interfere with the motor stuff?

How I divided the time:
C MAJ scale, 3 octaves. Making sure everything was loose and in tune. Then a slow ascending 2 octave C MAJ, 3 gesture martele down and up bow on each note, completely relaxing all bow hand tension before each martele segment. That took forever. At least 5 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes on the warmup.

Breval play through, focusing on gentle bow hold and balance over the strings, ignoring the sound quality as much as possible. ~7 min

Haydn C m71-78. This is the chord bowing exercise in the development that I have labeled "passage work B." We went over a practice approach in my @EC lesson yesterday. I can't remember the order I did things here, but I divided the time between pizz, playing the chords with separate bows, and slurring them. As I focused more deeply on the chord patterns and changes, I stopped playing in the middle to analyze the chords. At some point I had the epiphany that this whole section is about 3 chord progressions divided from each other by the 3 separate stacato "gasping for air" notes. This section now makes intellectual sense to me, and I am making good progress on memorizing it. I love the feeling of the moment that happens, and it's so hard to predict. I leave thinking "How could I have not recognized that before?" and laugh. That part is predictable.

Four hours with Emily on Deep Practice to come this afternoon. Don't you wish you were here today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.