Tuesday, March 9

Tue 1:54 (0936-1132)
Don't try to do the math. The 10 minute blocks will not add up to total practice time. In order to enforce rest periods I am typing notes in between each block. It makes the notes better, and helps ensure I will nip this incipient overuse thing in the bud while transitioning back to my usual equipment.

10 min Warm up.
Started with de Swert, 1 bow/16 note measure. Focus on left hand finger spacing and keeping 4th finger curved. It's a real work out for the outside of the hand. At the end, began to incorporate some trill/vibrato motion to relieve the muscle burn! Bow hand soft, even bow speed without much sound. After 5 min switched to E MAJ scale, galamian 3 octave, half then quarter notes. Finished with Morgenstern 3 octave scale pattern, really good for concentrating on old finger shifts. Focus on soft MCPs during shifts.

10 min Haydn C Exposition
No tempo practice of first page with focus on shifts. Soft MCP, old finger shifts upwards, intonation (back and forth between notes), arrival in balance, easy bow hold, not forcing the sound.

10 min Haydn C Exposition
Slow tempo practice of second page with focus on scales. Shifts arriving in anticipated hand position. Thumb position without excess tension. Still in familiarization mode, but I think my fingering is now "correct". Now to go for consistency. Did not spend much time on the double stops-that needs to be a block unto itself.

10 min Haydn C Exposition
Another block on the scales on p2. Thumb is getting a bit sore (just the skin, where I need a better callus) so I think that should be all of the thumb position for today, or at least for a few more blocks. Time for the brain to switch gears, anyway.

10 min Boismortier cello quartet in a
Switching gears, starting prep for cello quartet. This is a new piece to me, though the others read it last week in my absence. (I assume - that was the plan.) I have the second cello part, often the most awkward, and this is no exception. For this block I just read through all 4 movements, scoping out where things are going to fall. Next step is to commit to fingerings - much more tedious. It occurs to me I should check to see whether the plan is to play it again this week, or if it has already been retired, before I commit the time.

12 min Offenbach cello quartet Adagio
Oops, forgot to start the timer. Emily worked on this with me at my coached practice lesson, but I am afraid I didn't take enough notes. Worked on the shifts in the exposition, and where I didn't remember exactly what she recommended I just decided on a shift and practiced that. This soft MCP especially on 1st finger shifts is really starting to feel "right" - meaning that I am beginning to become aware when I tighten it instead without having to be directly focused on it. I think I need to make a new copy, so that I can mark it cleanly.

10 min Haydn C chords
Time to give the bow arm a rest, so I spent the first 8 min pizzing the chords, just being aware of chord changes and handshapes. Picked up the bow and played slowly, 1 note per bow. My next focus needs to be on smooth hand changes and intonation in double stops, but I think that's it for today.

A good practice, and no pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.