Wednesday, March 10

Wed 2:04 (1000-1204)

20 min Warmup
C MAJ in a variety of patterns. Single bow, 4 octaves, galamian patterns 3 8va in 4,3,6's. Several passes through Morgenstern's 3 8va pattern at various tempos and slurs, focusing on relaxed hand position, soft mcp in shifts, knowing where I was (shift math). I like this pattern more and more. After 10 min, switched to de Swert. 1 m slurs (16 x 16th notes). First pass at qu = 72 (based on tap). Felt really good, playing lightly with the bow and lightly with the fingers, none of that outer hand burning. Increased the speed to about qu = 110, fighting the tendency to tighten up, a good exercise in itself.

45 min Boismortier cello quartet in a
Got the word that we will be playing this at next rehearsal, not this week, but next. Fingered the first 2 mvmts. I thought it was going to be about 20 min when I looked up at the clock, but no, 45. The second mvmt has some serious scale puzzles, but some interesting finger patterns in the neck positions made easier transition to what looked like might be random leaps into thumb positions. Will need some repetitions later for facility. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to finger the last 2 mvmts. And now I need a full 10 min break.

30 min Haydn C Exposition
OK, 15 min break. Maybe closer to 20. John wanted a hug, so I sat for a few extra minutes. Memorized the first page, then worked on the scales on p2, alternating fasts and slows. Used a metronome the last 10 minutes to be sure I am getting the divisions correctly, as they can be fuzzy when playing the 32nd notes slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.