Wednesday, February 17

70 min
Time to balance the need for immersing myself in this orchestra music prior to the concert this weekend, and avoiding overuse. Taking a page from my workout schedules, I decided to practice in 10 minute blocks, dedicating "rest" time in between blocks to summarizing my notes on the block, finding materials for the next block, and brief walks around and stretches.
Start 1245

10 min - Warmup
C MAJ, 4 octaves, slurred 2 and 4 to bow. Forward at the hips, feet in good contact. Parallel and contralateral body motion. Breval run through, focusing on maintaining forward position and resulting arm weight. Chanson Triste, first phrase or two, from memory so the fingerings were random, but same focus.

10 min - Tchaikovsky Capriccio Italienne
32nd note scales at reh 156. Last night at rehearsal I realized just how fast that goes - it's like a tremolo with notes. Today I started by getting the bow moving at the right groupings (4x4 + 1) and speed. Then I added the scale, starting with a simple A maj fingering in 1st position. That worked surprisingly well. The breakthrough came when I realized that my nice fingerings into higher positions worked fine at a slower tempo, but not this one. Instead, I looked for where I could do a half-step shift up and down on the same finger, and sort of "shook" it into place while tremolo bowing. Eureka! Next point was that it's G# on the G string in A maj (duh!), but fortunately that little half-step shake on the 1st finger works fine there, too. Next block on this piece, I need to figure out how to apply this to the last 2 runs, starting on F# and B, but with added A#s.

10 min - Shosty 5 1st mvmt
Worked on 4 m phrase leading into reh 22. This section also surprised me as faster than I expects. Started at mm qu = 80 and just did repetitions, focusing alternating between shifts, finger groupings, and body ease. After lots of reps (prob 20-30) it felt pretty easy and I increased mm to 90 for several reps, then 104 just at the end of my time. 90 is easy, 104 felt rushed but mostly clean. There are several other sections in this mvmt that need the same treatment.

10 min - Shosty 5 mvmt 2
That block flew by, probably because I tried to do two things. First, the martele opening. Simple repetitions, focusing on clean string crossings and shifts, and quarter note lengths in 7th and 8th measures. Seems simple, but I really need to know which string I am playing on to keep it clean. Then moved on to the major motif in this mvmt, the little Boccherini descending thirds or so. I had fingerings that required shifts under the slurs, because that was the fewest number needed and I thought it would be easier. But it's hard to play the line - the shifts need to be between the slurs. Working out a better fingering. I'll resume there next block on this mvmt.

20 min - Shosty 5 mvmt 3
Notes in this mvmt are pretty well under control, so for this block I played with a recording of the NY Phil under Leonard Bernstein. The copious amount of rubato made it particularly challenging, but I used my time in the long rests to mark extra cues. Had a short pause in the middle to change batteries in the CD player. The recording was 16 or so minutes, so I continued into a second block. The last 3 or 4 minutes were spent on repetitions of the little cello soli near the end against a D drone. I tried a fingering crossing to the A string, which it seems like most others are doing, but really like it better sul D until it goes too low and crosses to the G string. Therefore, I figure I had better darn well be able to play it in tune!

10 min - Shosty 5 mvmt 4
Most of the time on working motifs at reh 102 up to speed, primarily using gestures, adding one finger pattern + shift at a time. A couple reps at reh 104 for intonation, then finished on 106-108. Next time on this block, start with intonation in 2nd measure of 107. That shift isn't quite working.

Finish 1440
Total time: ~2 hrs
Total practice: 70 min

I had hoped to do block of Khatchaturian as well, but after two hours my fingers are feeling it, and I'm mentally tired. I have a CrossFit tabata workout scheduled for today, so I think I'll do that now, and see if I can eke out any more practice time a little later, before church rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.