Friday, February 19

Start 1426
I had hoped to start earlier, but morning appointments and errands happened, and now it's mid afternoon.

60 min - Tchaikovsky
Always good to start with knowing what you are doing, so before I launched into cello work I reconciled the fingerings marked into my practice part with the performance part. That took 21 minutes.

Then instead of an official warm up I launched into the part, from the back forward. Since I was mostly making sure I had the shifts marked where I want them, with a few repetitions, I just kept resetting the timer in 10 minute blocks. I stopped after finishing the Andante beginning at m 255. I have reached my nemesis from Tuesday, the little scale fragments at 241. That's next, but since I went for a whole hour I'm taking a more substantial block break - maybe a whole 10 minutes!

40 min -Tchaikovsky
Launched right in where I left off, using mm qu = 60 to work out the notes, shifts, and bow changes. It was the little rocker bows that kept getting me off balance. After working up to qu = 80, added in the preceding pizzs. Little fingering glitch in 237 turned out to be a simple extension (were they all so easily solved). Needed to focus on the transition from pizz to scales as tempo increased, up to qu=96. Also marked some beat lines to keep things organized. This passage is not going to throw me tomorrow.

Reviewed the little triplet scale at the bottom of p3 at tempo, then spent the last 10 minutes on the melody at reh D. Corrected a couple of marked fingerings, then played a few reps at qu=80, just to make sure there were no mental transition glitches. Could stand to do a few more reps up tempo, but I'm out of time.

Stop 1630
Total time: 2:04
Total practice time: 100 min

Obviously, fewer breaks means more practice time. I am most happy that I have increased my daily practice time significantly this week with nary a tendon twinge. Also, by using the 10 minute timer to keep my focus I find I can work a longer block now with good concentration. I would count this as a highly successful practice week. I only hope the concert reflects that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.