Monday, January 18

30 min
Day 1. Today I am trying a new tactic - practice before Internet. With my morning coffee I studied the cello score while listening to a recording of the 3d and 4th movements of Shostakovich 5. Then I spent my "mandatory" practice time on the 4th mvmt. Page 10 is going to be a bear. I just stumbled through it, knowing I will need another session to go back through to decide on fingerings. Most of the time I spent on finding the optimal fingering for the open chords at reh 119 on p 11.

I was thinking this morning before I practiced that I would try a little mental trick to make learning this symphony more manageable. Instead of thinking of all the parts in each movement that need work, I'll think of it a page at a time. Then there is really only one or two tricky parts to address at each sitting, albeit sometimes the tricky bit is the whole page, like page 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.