Monday, January 25

30 min
No, I didn't practice this weekend, but I did play in church on Sunday morning. Partly, I realized I can't do 21 days in a row until after vacation, and partly I spent most of Saturday on chores and errands and most of Sunday attending the birth of Duchess's kittens.

Today I also didn't practice before Internet, as there were a couple of email things I needed to take care of early. So I figure I am doing well having done this 30 min before noon.

Started with D MAJ, linked half notes then slurred quarter notes. Double stops with open strings in lower octaves. Remember to keep hand relaxed on "outer hand" notes, and not hold extensions. Finger curves in upper 2 octaves, and a little less bow hair while keeping bow close to the frog. I'm writing all these things down because I had decent tone and intonation in the upper octaves today (for a change!). Then a few minutes on my scale trill exercise.

Spent the rest of the time on Breval, with a brief break at the 20 min mark to take a phone call and switch the laundry over. Played with different articulations for the different characters, worked on smoothing the transitions between phrases, some focused attention on the broken chord bowings. And of course, a nice starting gesture on the chords. Pulled out the accompaniment so that I can be hearing the underlying eighth notes to keep the timing honest.

It's coming along. I should make another recording before I take my vacation break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.