Tuesday, January 5

30 min
Day 5. Not my best effort, as I was getting short of time before orchestra rehearsal, and still needed to feed kitties and humans. Plus I was interrupted with phone calls. I ignore those when I am practicing earlier in the day, but at that time need to take them. However, I was using my 30 minute countdown timer, and stopped it for calls. This 30 minutes didn't take more than 50 to complete, I bet.

Anyway, started again with Tarantella. Better memory than yesterday, but I still need to do some detail work on the scales and INTONATION.

Started working on the 1st phrase of the Breval, doing some phrase shaping, when I remembered I hadn't worked on the timing of the trills, so I switched to the scale exercise with turns/trills. Drat. I can't remember exactly what that is supposed to sound like, and the timing of the shift vs. bow change is not working at all. Getting a bit of the hand roll, though.

Back to Breval. Worked the trills by going back and forth between notes without trill, and with trill added. Also, playing much more slowly than usual so I can work in the shakes without tension.

Since I'm on a slow roll, played the whole thing slowly and in a more romantic mode to try to feel where the natural heavy and light notes might be. I think that was somewhat successful. I'll play around more with the timing tomorrow. Maybe I'll set a slow metronome and play it musically from memory at a slow tempo, alternating with air playing the phrase. That should be a good memory workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.