Monday, January 11

30 min + recording
Day 4. Did a few scale trills to warm up, then a Breval run through from memory, slightly under tempo. Afterward, I dug through the games and found a die. I marked 6 starting points, as follows:
6. pu to m 3, 1st A stmt
5. m 23, 1st C stmt
4. m 40, double bar, inv B stmt
3. pu to m 52, a minor section (also B)
2. m 76, B stmt in recap
1. m 93, beginning of final triplet sections
The rest of the half hour passed quickly, rolling the die and starting at the indicated starting point. Initially I wanted to memorize the points first, but it became apparent that learning would be faster if I rolled the die, tried to remember, and if I didn't remember, looked where I needed to start. By the end I could remember the numbers of all the starting points.

You will notice that I numbered the starting points backwards, from the end instead of the beginning. That was a suggestion from T4-. The idea is that once you remember the number of the starting point you can count down as you play, and reliably know where the end is.

After my practice I decided to record a spot check. Fascinating how much adrenaline simply starting a camera can bring on. I had one big memory slip and a few small ones that I noticed while playing. I'll do the formal spot check as part of my practice tomorrow. In the meantime, feel free to watch and tell me everything I did wrong in the comments.



BTW, that's Emma I am playing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and constructive criticism welcomed.